Friday, May 18, 2012

Bike to Work Week

The 2012 Coeur d'Alene Bike to Work Week T-Shirt
It's Bike to Work Week and the weather has been gorgeous! This has not been the case for the last few years and it was hard to motivate people to ride to work when it is raining. Since getting involved in BTWW a few years ago, this is the first year that I am actually in town and have an office outside my house. I still have not been able to participate fully due to conflicts in my schedule but the two days that I was able to bike to work were glorious. Sure, I showed up sweaty and disheveled with helmet hair but my office mates were understanding and supportive and the restroom worked well as a changing room. I even showed property on my bike. The most important lesson that I learned from riding to work this week that I feel great after the ride and that is the absolute best way to start my day.
The week is not over- there is a moonlight ride tonight (5/18) at Vertical Earth in Riverstone at 9pm. The ride is 20 miles round trip from Vertical Earth to Higgins Point along the lake shore following the Centennial Trail. Bring a light. On Saturday is the Roots Pursuit where participants will compete in a team bicycle event consisting of a series of challenges located throughout downtown Coeur d'Alene. The games start at 10:00 am and the BTWW awards ceremony will be noon complete with raffles.
The whole point to this week is to encourage people to choose bikes over cars as much as possible. Remember every time you choose to ride instead of drive - it mean more money in your pocket in less $ spent on gas and wear and tear on your car and  One Less Car polluting our air.
If you have any questions on the safest routes around town, give me a call at 762-3367. The best way to enjoy your ride is to stay away from the high traffic roads and take advantage of the trail systems.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! When I figure out a way to prevent helmet-hair, I may be as intrepid as you :)

    ReplyDelete